Insulation Statements are now compulsory with all new tenancy agreements. Insulation is now compulsory in all rental homes.

Ceiling and underfloor insulation is compulsory in all rental homes where it is reasonably practicable to install. It must comply with the regulations and be safely installed.

A landlord who fails to comply with the regulations will be committing an unlawful act and may be liable for exemplary damages of up to $4,000.

Landlords may be eligible for help from their local council. A number of councils allow homeowners to add the cost of insulation to their rates and pay it back over about nine years.

The healthy homes standards include new requirements for insulation, which will take effect from 1 July 2021 onwards.

Landlords who have installed new insulation since 2016 should already meet the 2008 Building Code, so they won’t need to do anything further when the healthy homes standards take effect providing the insulation remains in good condition.

However, landlords who didn’t previously need to improve their existing levels of insulation under the current requirements, may now need to do so under the healthy homes standards. Currently, if the property already has ceiling insulation which is at least 70mm thick and underfloor insulation, and both are in good condition, then landlords have not been required to take action.

Under the healthy homes standards, all rental properties will need to have insulation which meets the 2008 Building Code, or (for existing ceiling insulation) have a minimum thickness of at least 120mm.

Use this tool to find out whether you need to upgrade the insulation in your rental property.

More information about healthy homes standards 

How to assess your existing insulation

Landlords must make all reasonable efforts to find out what insulation is in their rental property. This includes physically looking, engaging a professional to do an assessment, or checking the council building file.

If you're not sure of the location, type and condition of the insulation, seek advice from a professional insulation installer.

Ask for written information to support the insulation statement. Some companies may do this at no cost or there may be a small charge.

They will also be able to advise and give you a quote if the insulation needs work to meet the current regulations.

Further guidance on assessing existing insulation [PDF, 2.5 MB]

Checking your insulation safely

Choose an installer at Insulation Association of New Zealand (external link)

Choose an installer at EECA Energywise (external link)

Insulation statements

Since 1 July 2016 a separately signed insulation statement must be included in all new tenancy agreements. Landlords must disclose whether there is insulation in the rental home, where it is, what type and what condition it is in, so tenants can make an informed decision.

Completing our insulation statement template will meet all the requirements for insulation disclosure under the Residential Tenancies Act. The landlord can attach an assessment from a professional to the tenancy agreement, but this will only count as an insulation statement if:

  • it includes all required information
  • is signed by the landlord.

Otherwise, the landlord can use the information from the professional assessment to help them complete the signed insulation statement.

A landlord who does not make a complete insulation statement or includes anything they know to be false or misleading is committing an unlawful act and may be liable for a penalty of up to $500.

Landlords of income-related tenancies are already legally required to provide ceiling and underfloor insulation that meets minimum standards unless they meet an exception. They can also complete our insulation statement template.

Insulation statement template [PDF, 103 KB]

Ceiling and underfloor insulation is compulsory in all rental homes.

Due to the design or construction constraints of some property types, it is sometimes either not physically possible to insulate or would require major renovations to do so.

Know the law and the safety rules when working with insulation. Get a professional in if you are not certain you can manage the risks.

Rating form

Did you find this information helpful?

For general enquiries please contact us