A landlord can ask tenants to pay a bond when they move into a property.

The bond is money held by Tenancy Services that could cover:

  • unpaid rent
  • damage to the property; or
  • any claim(s) relating to the tenancy.

Tenants who have looked after the house and paid rent in full should get a refund of their bond when the tenancy ends.

Landlords who charge a bond must lodge it with Tenancy Services within 23 working days using our bond lodgement form.

Landlords and Tenants can now lodge bonds with Tenancy Services using the online bond payment system.

Bond is normally refunded at the end of a tenancy by submitting a completed bond refund form. If there is a dispute about outstanding issues and neither party can agree, an application will need to be made to the Tenancy Tribunal.

At the end of a tenancy the tenant can ask to transfer the bond to a new tenancy, rather than getting a refund. This can only happen if both the old landlord and the new landlord agree. 

When the landlord, property manager or tenant of a property changes, the bond record needs to be updated. This means filling out the correct form and sending it to Tenancy Services within 10 working days of the change.

Read our tips on how to prevent problems with bonds during a tenancy.