Landlords and tenants should both understand these dates for complying with the healthy homes standards.
From 1 July 2019
- Ceiling and underfloor insulation will be compulsory in all rental homes where it is reasonably practicable to install.
- Landlords must sign a statement of intent to comply with the healthy homes standards in any new, varied or renewed tenancy agreement.
- This statement is in addition to the existing requirement to include a signed insulation statement with all tenancy agreements that covers what insulation the property has, where it is, and what type.
- Landlords must keep records that demonstrate compliance with any healthy homes standards that apply or will apply during the tenancy.
From 1 December 2020
- Landlords must include a statement of their current level of compliance with the healthy homes standards in most new or renewed tenancy agreements.
From 1 July 2021
- Private landlords must ensure their rental properties comply with the healthy homes standards within 90 days of any new, or renewed, tenancy.
- All boarding houses (except Kāinga Ora (formerly Housing New Zealand) and Community Housing Provider boarding house tenancies) must comply with the healthy homes standards.
From 1 July 2023
- All Kāinga Ora (formerly Housing New Zealand) houses and registered Community Housing Provider houses must comply with the healthy homes standards.
From 1 July 2024
- All rental homes must comply with the healthy homes standards.