Find out who is responsible for installing and maintaining digital television, phone and internet services.

Landlords can be responsible for digital TV facilities

When landlords install digital TV they must also repair and maintain the equipment.

If a property's not set up to receive digital TV, they don’t have to install or upgrade equipment to receive it.

If a landlord wants to install digital TV during the tenancy they’ll need the tenant’s permission to access the property. This also applies if they want someone to do the installation for them. When carrying out the work, they need to respect the tenant’s right to quiet enjoyment.

Tenants may be able to install digital TV

If a house is not set up to receive digital TV, a tenant may want to install it themselves. The tenant needs to get the landlord's written permission to install it. The landlord can't withhold their permission without a good reason.

Before agreeing to install digital TV the landlord and tenant should decide who will own the equipment. Often satellite dishes are the property of the company that provides the service (eg Sky).

They should also decide who’ll be responsible for repair and maintenance. Any agreements should be in writing.

Tenants can remove their fixtures at the end of a tenancy as long as it doesn't cause irreparable damage. This means some landlords prefer to install digital TV themselves. If the equipment is removed by the tenant at the end of the tenancy, they must ensure any damage is repaired. For example, repairing mounting or cabling holes.

Landlords must agree before tenants add any fixtures

Telephone and internet services

If you want a landline connected, make sure the property has enough working telephone jacks. Tenants should also check what internet services are available at the address. It's important to do these checks before signing a tenancy agreement.

If you’re a tenant and you have phone and internet connected to the property, you will need to pay the bills.

Utilities and other payments

Rating form

Did you find this information helpful?

For general enquiries please contact us