After you’ve been to mediation and have agreed on a way to resolve an issue, or if you’ve been to a Tenancy Tribunal Hearing, it’s likely you’ll have a decision that you can enforce if needed.

The decision may be written in a mediator’s order or an order of the Tenancy Tribunal. These orders are legally binding documents.

If someone doesn’t do what an order requires them to do, the person who applied for the order can enforce it through the Ministry of Justice.

If you have a mediator’s order or an order of the Tenancy Tribunal, the following information will help you to enforce it.

Note: to have a mediator’s order enforced, it must first be sealed by the Tenancy Tribunal. Contact your mediator or case coordinator to ask to have your order sealed. An adjudicator will consider whether or not the order can be enforced. If it can be enforced, they will seal it.

If a tenant or landlord doesn’t do what they’ve been ordered to do by the Tenancy Tribunal, you can get the order enforced through Collections – Ministry of Justice.

When you’re trying to enforce a Tenancy Tribunal order, the Ministry of Justice needs a current address for the person named on the order. If you don’t have a current address for the person, we have a service that may be able to help you find one. 

One way to enforce the repayment of a debt is to arrange an attachment order. An attachment order takes money from the benefit, wages or salary of the person who owes the money and pays it directly to you.

Rating form

Did you find this information helpful?

For general enquiries please contact us