We provide information on your rights and responsibilities as a landlord, tenant or unit title owner.
Tenancy Services is part of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE). Our work supports MBIE’s goal to grow New Zealand for all. This is echoed in the Ministry’s Māori identity, Hīkina Whakatutuki. This broadly means ‘lifting to make successful’.
This website has information and resources to help tenants and landlords act with confidence, build good relationships, and solve any problems that may arise during your tenancy.
- Administer the Residential Tenancies Act 1986, Unit Titles Act 2010 and the Healthy Homes Guarantee Act 2017.
- Provide services for resolving disputes, including mediation and coordinating the Tenancy Tribunal
- Hold bond money in trust
- Monitor and enforce compliance with the Residential Tenancies Act, Healthy Homes Guarantee Act and associated regulations.
The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment’s (MBIE) transparency statement describes the kind of information MBIE gathers to ensure it can effectively:
- protect people, information, and places
- ensure regulatory compliance, and
- detect and prevent criminal offending.
How to stay up to date
Our newsletter Tenancy Matters is emailed every two months and is filled with news, tips and information for tenants and landlords.
We also send:
- a monthly Market Rent update
- Legislative Update emails on any changes in legislation.
I tēnei wāhanga
The Tenancy Services Compliance and Investigations Team monitor and enforce compliance with the Residential Tenancies Act 1986 (the Act).
Get in touch with us if you would like more information or have a question.
Data and statistics related to our regulatory activities and the New Zealand rental market.
Resources for landlords and tenants in different languages.
Except where stated otherwise, this website and the information on it is protected by Crown copyright.
This privacy statement applies to personal information collected through the Ministry of Business and Employment’s (MBIE) Tenancy Services websites. It also includes how personal information is treated by our Tenancy Services contact centre.
This privacy and cookies policy was last updated on 1 December 2020.
The information available on, or through this website includes information provided by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) and information provided by third parties (providers of information). This information is intended to provide general business information to the public. The information on Tenancy.govt.nz should not be your only source of tenancy information. We recommend you seek professional advice as appropriate.