The bottom line for renting a place of your own is simple. Get an agreement in writing with your landlord so there is no doubt as to what has been agreed to. Keep receipts of payments. Know your rights and obligations as a tenant.
So you’re planning to move into a flat or house?
Here’s a list of things to do and think about so your renting experience will be hassle free. Click on a link to find out more.
- Find the place that’s right for you.
- Choose a good place with a good landlord.
- Sign a tenancy agreement form with your landlord (more about tenancy agreements).
- Sign a bond lodgement form and pay the bond (more about bonds).
- Inspect the property with your landlord before you move in.
And remember to keep all records, papers and documents about your tenancy, even after the tenancy is over. These records will include:
- your tenancy agreement
- property inspection report
- rent records and receipts
- water, power and phone bills
- letters from the landlord
- copies of letters you have sent to the landlord.